Thursday 2 October 2008

Indigo dyeing (藍染体験) Part 2

So now, let's start indigo dyeing! The liquid in the barrels is colorant for dyeing. It has anmonical order...



First, we got to make a design on cloth. I chose a handkerchief, but you can choose it from a stole, a bag, a towel as well as a handkerchief('-'*)


They are the tools for making a design: clothespins, film canisters, small stones, rubber band, etc.


The places where the tools touch or nip wouldn't be dyed.

Are you ready? Then go for dyeing! The liquid with more bubbles is younger, meaning stronger. So if you prefer deep color, you'd better use younger one.



Souse the cloth in the colorant for about a minute, then rinse it with water. And repeat those works 3 or 4 times.



Do you think the color is deep enough? Then take the tools off.







And then, dunk it in vinegar water.

Acid restores the color of indigo.




This one is my friend, Miya's work.

She's smart and always full of ideas.

Don't you feel it?




This one is Yuki's.

She's very organized,

and I can tell it from her design.





And this is mine!

(Sorry I'm not showing the whole design... I'm not artistic.)

They gave me a plastic bag & a seal to wrap.

It was fun, and I enjoyed it a lot(≧∇≦)b


By the way, Yamato-Koriyama is one of the best places for cherry-blossom viewing in Nara prefecture.

The ruin of Yamato-Koriyama castle is now a park with lots of cherry trees.

The season of cherry flower in Nara is in the beginning of April.


Why don't you come to Yamato-Koriyama to enjoy indigo dyeing, goldfish catching & cherry blossoms?
I may see you then(゚∇^*)

5 comments:

DP said...

Thank you for the very interesting topic! I also have a friend doing indigo in Osaka and I always wondered how the process of dyeing was carried out. Fascinating!

Mariko said...

♣diego
Thanks for your comment! I'm glad to know you enjoyed the article. How! You have a friend doing indigo as well as a friend of Noh carver! I'm so curious about that...interesting.

Anonymous said...

hi~
long time no see!!!~~
how are you?
and hope you have good life~~^^

i like your blog~
is very beautiful~

Mariko said...

♣ariel
Hello&thanks for ur comment! I'm fine, thanks(゚∇^*) Hope you are doing great, too.

Thanks a lot for saying you like my blog. I'm working to maki it better♪

price per head said...

Hey, there's a great deal of helpful information above!