Thursday 5 February 2009

Lantern Festival @Kasuga Shrine, Nara

I visited Kasuga shrine in Nara on Feb 3rd. In Japan, we consider that this day is one of the days before changes in seasons. As ancient people were afraid spirits or ghosts mess around on seasonal watersheds , festivals and prayers have held throughout Japan for many, many years. As Maybe the idea is similar to Halloween.



Here at Kasuga shrine, Lantern Festival is held every year. This shrine is famous for nearly 3,000 lanterns donated by people since 12th century. This custom was begun by noble men, but later on it became popular among ordinary people, especially merchants.


Poeple donated lanterns praying for a wish (or wishes?) to come true. The oldest stone lantern was donated by a chief adviser to the Emperor, Tadamichi Fujiwara in 1137. But you know, it's not easy to fint it among 3000 lanterns.






Sacred & serene



By paying an admission fee (500yen), you can enter the inner shrine and see ambulatories with famous hanging lanterns. The oldest hanging lantern in this shrine was donated in 1038 by another chief adviser to the Emperor Yorimichi Fujiwara, known for estabilishing Phenix Hall in Uji, Kyoto.










Here, you totally forget your daily life & feel religious devotion of people succeed for nearly 1000 years.


If you have ever visited Nara, you would know why this lantern is special.

Deers, the symbol of Nara;P!!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good evening, Mariko san.
All pictures are very beautiful and impressive.
The lanterns are so delicate ,and the deers look so cute to me♡

Looking at all pictures and imagining that the scenery hasn't changed for nearly 1000 years, it really moves us,I think.

I feel like visiting the place if I have an opportunity to visit Kansai.

Anonymous said...

How beautiful!!!
Astounding!
I've been to this place actually
many many times and have told people, that, the night that those lanterns are all lit up is owesome...now I really think it is one of the must to see.
I really envy you beeing there!
Yeah!

Tonykaku said...

very interesting blog. and nice photos.

Kyoto is one of my favorite places in the world.
i will return to Osaka for ohanami and i hope
to come to Kyoto for Hanatorou.

today i added a few photo from Kyoto from last year to
my blog. iro iro, ne.

Mariko said...

♣Salt-Mint-san
Thanks for your comment!
Pls do visit Nara if you have a chance!! It's a wonderful city to visit... sometimes I feel I can more relax in Nara than I can do in Kyoto.
Yes, it's amazing this scenery was seen by people for 1000 years! Feel like I'm traveling the time. ;D

Mariko said...

♣Yoko san
Yes, like you said, I can finally explain people how beautiful those lanterns are when they are lit. ;P
Do you envy me being there? But I don't think you wanna come with me... it's soooooo cold!! (Maybe you can visit there in August♪)

Mariko said...

♣Tony & Kevin,
Thanks for your comment & sorry for my late reply.
Your blog is interesting, too! So you'll COME BACK to Osaka soon?? Hope you enjoy Hanami♪
I LOVE Kyoto as well as Nara, too!! I'm so happy I can appreciate old & beautiful & wonderful cultures all the time.

Toni said...

This is beautiful, your photos are lovely. We visited Japan, and the Kasuga Shrine, for the first time this month and enjoyed it so much that we plan to return in February 2012 and as part of that trip hope to be able to the lanterns lit.

Daphne said...

Dear Mariko-san,
I really love your photos! Sugoi-desu!!
I went to Kyoto's lantern festival last year as well and it was truly amazing. Your pictures make my memories come alive :)
Shal we exchange and follow eachother's blogs?
Regards,
Daphne (Oranda-jin desu)