Sunday 5 July 2009

Moss Garden.... Saihoji Temple (西芳寺)

In the end of June, I visited Saihoji Temple known as Moss Garden, which is one of the 17 properties of the World Heritage Sites registered as "Historic Monuments of Ancient Kyoto".

However, this temple is not a 'sightseeing temple.'

Advanced reservations required by a Japanese reply postal card. So if you're not a resident in Japan, you'd better ask a travel egency to make a reservation for you.
(If you want to do it by yourself, let me know. I can tell you how to. :D )

And admission fee @3,000 yen per person (30USD) is not cheap. This includes a fee to join a Buddhism ceremony to chant & copy Buddhist sutra. At this temple, joining the ceremony is of principal importance and seeing the garden comes in the second place.



Well, let me tell you a little bit of the history of this temple.

Although there's a lack of any conclusive evidence, but it is said there used to be a villa of Prince Shōtoku in the early 7th century. And about 100 years later, Priest Gyoki , who exerted himself for construction of the Great Buddha of Nara, founded a temple of Hoso sect in 8th century.



It was devastated in 14 century, but a famous landscaper Muso Kokushi refurbished it in 1339.



Now it is said that more than 120 species of moss are flowing over the ground in the central garden.




The amazing thing is....





...it was never planned to be covered in moss.


It is considered this scenery was born in 18th to 19th century. Now we can enjoy what Muso Kokushi could not see or imagine. ;P


The garden of Saihoji Temple is divided into two parts. One the circuit-style with woods and pond while the other is the stone garden style.



The circuit-style part has a pond in the shape of '心(kokoro)' , the Chinese character meaning 'heart' or 'mind'. So carefully watching this garden may lead you to reexamine yourself.





The stone garden is halfway up a hill.


And this is thought to be the first dry garden in Japan.




All the Japanese stone gardens including the famous rock garden at Ryoan-ji may not be seen without this garden as an example.

This garden is said to signify the water flow of waterfalls. Can you imagine that??

13 comments:

ROTA said...

whow what a beautiful sight and very nice pictures. It has to be amazing when you are there.

Tonykaku said...

thank you as always for your explanation, photos
and 心。

how is your Summer? be careful of the sun and the rain.

any plans to see 花火?

Mariko said...

♣Rota san & Tonykaku san
Sorry for my LATE reply.

Rota san, yes, the sceneries are amazing!!
I'm glad I visited there.

Tonykaku san, it's so maggy in Kyoto.
I went to see Tenjin Festival in Osaka to see fireworks.
But I don't like crowded places so much...

EnKoppZen said...

Hello,
For a while I lost this blogsite, now I´m glad I´ve found it again. I`ve now include your site in my blogroll so I won´t lose it again. Hope it´s ok.

I´m so interested of all about Japan, and your blog is really very attractive & informative of your beautiful culture.

sivaluk_htn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mariko said...

♣Celina san
Thanks for looking for my blog! Of course, it's great that you added my blog in blogroll.
I haven't update this blog for a long time... your comment gave me motivation. Thanks!!

♣Sivaluk san
Thank you for having an interest in my blog. :D

sivaluk_htn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
En Kopp Zen said...

Thanks to you too Mariko. your blog is helpful in knowing Japan.
I have a question Mariko if it is alright for me to ask about japanese courtesy.

You attached the San on the names of people. I thought it is only to men, but you attached it to my name too. Is it even to women?

Thank you for your answer.

Mariko said...

♣Celina san
Thanks for your comment again!
Yes, 'san' can be used for both men and women.
If you're meeting very important people (ex. to Emperess Michiko, Prices & Princesses), you'd use 'sama'
Also if you're visiting a hotel or a restaurant, they'd call you 'your last name + sama' :D

rohnin said...

hi, i love your page and description of Saiho-ji! i am planning on visiting in november but i am from the usa and would like to get reservations by myself. can you show me how to do it? arigatou!

doctoryellow@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

Mariko,

I'm interested in making reservations for Saihoji and came across your blog while trying to find instructions to do this internationally (I live in the US). Could you share with me how to do this internationally? I'm stuck on the part about the Japanese reply postcard... Also, I'm not sure of the relevance of providing Japanese address.

My email is robertcchang [at] sbcglobal [dot] net

Thanks a lot!

price per head said...

Hello, Such a wonderful blog i ever read. Please keep posting good blogs. Thank you very much...

Anonymous said...

i'm trying to find out how to make a reservation for saiho-ji, and it seems very complicated and difficult from the USA, could you please email me any information you have? Thank you!

luxxveritas(at)gmail.com